ScarletWP Fanfiction

I ease my soul. I write. I paint my desires with words. Warning: Yaoi.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Contemplations in the Afterlife 14

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Genre: Romance, Angst

Description: Despite his love for Seto Kaiba, the Pharaoh Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife. Now, he feels regret for his decision, and prays for another chance for him and his beloved to be together.

Pairing: Seto Kaiba x Yami Yugi (Prideshipping)

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Contemplations in the Afterlife
by: scarlet wax petal

Click here to return to Chapter 13. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

Panic was racing through my entire being. I had stood frozen and watched helplessly as Seto Kaiba fell limply on the table, the victim of his actions. But I was only a spirit, and didn't have the power to help him... I was totally at a loss over the problem that confronted me.

There is always a solution; I just have to believe. I forced these words into my mind, as I tried to calm down and think of something. And then, something struck me.

"Isis!" I abruptly turned to the woman spirit who was silently standing behind me. "Tell me, Priestess, is it possible for a spirit to enter the realm of a living person's dreams?" She calmly nodded in response.

"Then tell me how..." And I finally managed a smile, as my fears were gradually soothed in her explanation.

Chapter 14: Surrender

Even in my dreams, it was evident that I was way too drunk. I had said things I shouldn't have said, and thought of things that shouldn't have crossed my mind.

Worse, I did things I wouldn't have done if I were sober. But it was all just a dream... wasn't it?

Then I dreamt of something I shouldn't have dreamt about.

Yami Yugi had confronted me tonight. Like he had been doing every night, during the year since his departure. Every night, the moment I closed my eyes, I would see that scene replay before me -- Yami Yugi leaving, Yami Yugi saying all that crap that he had said. It was always like that. But, at least, even under the influence of alcohol, I could dictate how I acted in the dream. I was always in as much control in my sleep as I am when awake. I was never the weakling who fell on his butt and cried like a child; instead, I was Seto Kaiba. I was myself.

But tonight... Tonight was different.

For one, I had answered to the challenge immediately, while with just a vague understanding of what it really meant. It seems that, drunk or sober, I could never resist a challenge posted by my rival. However, while I consider myself a risktaker, I am smart enough to ensure that the odds are in my favor -- perhaps not always greatly, but at least I should hold some edge over my opponent. Back when I was still dueling, for instance, I had always packed my deck with the most powerful cards so that I was always at an advantage.

Furthermore, I wouldn't go rushing foolishly into the enemy's trap; I know well enough to calculate my moves, foresee possible results and prepare alternative plans. Of course, I would never have turned down his challenge, regardless of the circumstance; I only turn down dares when they weren't worth my time, and never on the basis of difficulty. In fact, the greater the difficulty, the more thrilling the game; which was why I was always eager to face Yami Yugi in the battlefield, always ready to accept whatever challenges he threw at me. However, if I had been sober, I would have asked first what he had really meant by his words, and then quickly determined the best plan of action before giving him my nod. This way, I would have held an advantage over him even before the challenge started.

Of course, soon afterwards, I realized what he had really meant. And meeting the challenge wasn't gonna be easy.

Secondly, I had posted my rival a task, one that was similarly difficult. And equally risky for both of us. No, actually, it was riskier for me. Sure, there was the risk of his humiliation if he fails to do it; but if he does win, then that would mean that I have failed not only to subdue my opponent in the challenge that I had posted, but also to win in that he had given me.

For him to prove himself, he would have to prove that he holds my life in his hands. The thought of it made me tremble.

My challenge to him had been my response. And in doing so, I had, in part, failed in the challenge that was given to me. For why should I be bothered with year-old phrases that should have been long forgotten?

Tequila certainly has a way of addling the mind.

"Well?" I uttered, crossing my arms as I regarded Yami Yugi, who was now facing me. "What are you waiting for? Or are you suddenly struck clueless?"

Yami Yugi carefully shook his head. "Didn't I tell you before, Kaiba? I think you are a wonderful person."

I hissed in annoyance. "Is that all? Well, you certainly have to do better than that, or you lose!"

"Why won't you believe me?" He was starting to sound frustrated, something that I rarely heard.

Mockingly, I retorted, "Isn't that supposed to be your problem?" I cocked an eyebrow at him. Looks like I was worried for nothing.

Yami Yugi sighed, and his voice sounded more serene. "Do you still remember, Kaiba, the day when we first dueled? When you kidnapped Yugi's grandfather, gave him a heart attack and tore his Blue Eyes White Dragon?"

I couldn't help but laugh at what he had said. "What? So that's your answer? You came to like me because of what I did to that senile old fool?"

"I'm not yet done, Kaiba."

"Yami Yugi, this is pointless."

"You were the one who posted the challenge, Kaiba!"

"Well, I guess I just have to say you lost. You're not giving me any satisfactory answers, so we might as well stop this. You're wasting my time." I started to turn away.

Yami Yugi suddenly grabbed both of my arms, forcing me to keep still, and looked straight into my eyes. I gritted my teeth in anger; I hate being restricted like this. Yet I didn't put up a fight, despite how much stronger I know I am over him; I must have been too tired to even struggle (though struggling wasn't something I would ever do), let alone fight back. So, I decided that the best option was to wait for his answer, determine whether it qualifies or not, and then tell him to leave. Kick him out hard if I had to. Hopefully, after this, he would never haunt my dreams again.

"Alright," I told him, as I glared back. "I'll listen. But better make it good."

Yami Yugi kept his hold on me. "I gave you a mind crush, didn't I?"

"And you're gonna give me another one right now?"

He didn't seem to hear what I had said. "I had the option of killing you right there and then. You were consumed by evil, an evil which was destroyed when I shattered your heart. However, deep within you is a darkness that could never be quelled, not even by my own power. Thus, the only way I could prevent you from falling to wickedness again was to take your life."

I chuckled darkly. "Well, why didn't you? Big mistake, don't you think?"

Yami Yugi, as usual, had a long patience. I could tell, by the mark of calm concentration on his face, that he was carefully choosing his words and restraining his temper. It seemed he was intent on winning this challenge. Good, except I'm not gonna lose to you. "But I had seen your heart, Kaiba, and I saw who you really are," he continued, "saw a man who, more than anything else, deserves to live. You have kept your true self prisoner for the sake of your brother, endured all pain and hatred, and kept the facade of a cold unloving being so that he may be kept safe and happy. Very few people would sacrifice that much even for their own flesh and blood. But you did it, kept that darkness in your heart, at the risk of losing your own soul, in order to be tough enough to protect your brother."

I had glanced away without thinking, and then remembered myself and looked back at Yami Yugi. Damn, no way am I losing to you. "So what? I was just doing my duty. I am a man of my word." I caught a glimpse of the time when our true parents passed away. Back then, I had made the unspoken lifetime promise.

Yami Yugi smiled. "Which makes me admire you all the more." Shit.

When I didn't respond, he continued. "You have made the promise to protect Mokuba at all costs. And so far, you've kept it. Your ferocity in keeping this promise is unmatched; you never hesitated to put your own self on the brink of death for your brother."

"You don't have to remind me. Are you slapping my face with the fact that I had cheated? That I could never win over you in a fair battle?" I spat, barely stopping to breathe. "Is that why you're here, Yami Yugi? To make this fact sink in even deeper? Well, don't bother; it's an unnecessary effort on your part."

He smiled at me, his eyes quickly losing its fierceness. There was now a softness in his face; it was almost stoic. I was uncertain whether he was about to give up... or did he have an inkling that victory was his again?

"No, Seto," he muttered softly, gazing at me with his gentlest eyes. "I am here just to remind you that you know how to love. And deserve to be loved."

I was taken aback by his statement; not having anything to retaliate with, given all that he had said, I was momentarily frozen. And before I could react, Yami Yugi had mildly cupped my face in his hands and brought his lips to mine.

The kiss was soft and gentle, and pleasantly moist. My breath caught in my throat, my heart pounded rapidly in my chest. It was a curious feeling, this kiss; it wasn't like anything I've ever experienced before. It was... inexplicable; no words could ever accurately describe it.

Despite being free from Yami Yugi's grasp, my arms had remained still on my side, not moving to push the other man away. Instead, I responded to the kiss, pressing my lips closer to his as I sought more of him. My mouth opened on its own and let him put his tongue through, let him explore my teeth and my palate. I gasped when I felt him lightly suck at my tongue, as if inviting to explore him as well. I gave my reply with some uncertainty, slowly pushing my tongue past his lips to taste his mouth. He moaned softly, encouraging me to go further. I now ventured him with no hesitation, wildly and eagerly moving my tongue around, as if playing with swords, flicking at various areas of Yami Yugi's mouth and getting more excited at each new discovery.

I had known enthusiasm only during the times when I battled against this man in the duel arena. Now, a new kind of thrill was coursing through my body -- equally intense, yet definitely more pleasurable. And it was with the same man. With my one true rival. I guess I know excitement only with Yami Yugi; it could never be with anyone else.

Thus, during the past year, I had lost my will to live. Because I had lost him. And now, he was back. He reminded me that I deserve to live, and to be loved. And assured me that his words were true, made me believe that they were true. For now, I just had to trust him.

This was not the first time I had given in to weakness because of him. Once again, victory was his. It seems I could never win over him. So I vowed never to let him go, never to once again lose the only person who has ever brought challenge to my life.

Even if this were only a dream. A tequila-induced drunken dream. A moment of ethanol-driven insanity.

I held him more tightly now, as if my life depended on it. My hands had gone from my side to his back to his nape to his head, pressing him closer and deepening the kiss. We were both gasping when we pulled away; I saw that his face was flushed and sweaty, as if he had been running. I gazed into his half-closed crimson eyes, which were glazing with passion and desire, and knew that I wanted more. And to give more. I lunged my lips upon his again, now more roughly, more surely, eliciting long muffled moans from him and driving excitement further through my body. With my knees weakening each passionate second, I fell atop him; he was now beneath me, for the first time in my life.

I longed to explore him more. From his lips, I traveled downward, traced his jawline unevenly with my kisses as my hand gently caressed his cheek. When my tongue brushed over his ear, he gasped. I continued to explore his earlobe.

Bit by bit, I undressed him, yet untiringly rained his skin with my touch and my kisses. I traced his face and his body with my lips, my tongue and my fingertips. I knew well enough to arouse his most sensitive spots; I lingered longest on the pulse points on his neck and his wrists, on his nipples and on his navel. Each time, his breath came out strong and sporadic, and every now and then, he moaned my name.

"Seto... oh Seto... no..." His voice was raspy, weak and begging, like of a fallen warrior invoking to be spared of further torment, as he grasped firmly at my back, his nails digging sharply through the cloth of my shirt.

I heard him groan in protest when I stopped. For now, he was impatient, and so was I. Quickly, I took off every article of clothing that were still on me and on him, and soon we were both completely naked. I paused to gaze at his entire naked form; his face was broken in wanting, his body clearly pleased with my ministrations. Damn, he is so beautiful. How could I have noticed only now?

"Seto... please..." He was begging again.

I grabbed his thighs and spread him. And then claimed him. He cried out incoherently, and fresh tears escaped his eyes. I gently kissed away the drops that lingered on his face. I brought my lips close to his ear and encircled it with my tongue, and hushed him with a whisper of his name.

"Yami Yugi... Atem..."

"Seto..." His voice, though soft, was firm and reassuring. I felt him gently caress my bare back with his hand.

He wrapped his arms tightly around me, and I held onto his shoulders, not wanting to let go. Soon, we were both moaning, gasping and crying out each other's names, until we both reached our ecstasies at the same time. Spent yet sated, I settled silently on top of him, with my ear on his chest as I listened to the beating of his heart.

"I love you... Seto..." I heard him murmur in my ear.

I looked at him and planted a soft kiss on his lips in response. He smiled tenderly and patted my shoulder reassuringly. I then lay myself, in his arms, and drifted off to sleep -- the most blissful one I've ever had in my life.

(to be continued)

Click here to proceed to Chapter 15. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home