ScarletWP Fanfiction

I ease my soul. I write. I paint my desires with words. Warning: Yaoi.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Contemplations in the Afterlife 04

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Genre: Romance, Angst

Description: Despite his love for Seto Kaiba, the Pharaoh Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife. Now, he feels regret for his decision, and prays for another chance for him and his beloved to be together.

Pairing: Seto Kaiba x Yami Yugi (Prideshipping)

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Contemplations in the Afterlife
by: scarlet wax petal

Click here to return to Chapter 3. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

Seth may have been the previous incarnation of Seto Kaiba -- and thus, the two shared some connection in terms of spirit and memory -- but they were two different persons whom I felt differently for. True, I cared for Seth; after all, he was my High Priest, one of my best counsels (as I learned during my stay in the world of my memories) and a fiercely loyal subject at that. But I didn't love him. The man I loved was Seto Kaiba.

When I first came to the world of my memories, I experienced some confusion regarding the matter: about whether I loved one or both, that is. They were both intelligent, careful and calculating in handling their duels and their duties -- Seth as my High Priest, and Seto Kaiba as CEO of Kaiba Corporation. They both displayed strength and bravery in defending what they had vowed to defend, never faltering, risking their own lives if they deemed necessary. And they both carried themselves with pride and authority. The two men were similar in so many ways, even physically, that it was difficult to discern why I would love one over the other.

Then it came to me: their eyes. Seth's showed no hint of defiance as they looked at me. Before the Pharaoh, he was a mere servant who unquestioningly obeyed whatever his Lord had commanded him to do, regardless how simple or difficult, embarrassing or dangerous. It would have been easier if I had fallen in love with Seth instead. After all, I could have easily commanded him to reciprocate my love, thus avoiding the despair that hit my heart.

Instead, thanks to the cruelty of fate, I fell in love with Seto Kaiba. Kaiba was, unlike Seth, an independent creature. His eyes would have glared at me haughtily had I dared gaze at them. This man thought for himself, and did what he believed was right, not minding whether the whole world disagreed with him on the matter.

I remembered the time when Seth had become corrupted by the Dark Lord. It was to be the momentous battle recorded on the stone tablet. Seth had unleashed the White Dragon and destroyed my Dark Magician, causing me tremendous pain. He would have destroyed me then, too, had the mistress of the White Dragon not interfered. When Seth had regained control of himself, he took the lady in his arms and mourned her death. I realized then that this was the woman whom he loved.

I also realized that had Seth not become corrupted by the Dark Lord, the scene upon the stone tablet, the said prophecy of my fated rivalry with Seto Kaiba, would not have been. The true Seth would not have challenged his Pharaoh. But Seto Kaiba, in his right mind, would have challenged me. After all, he was my one true rival. My one true love.

After that battle was when I met Kaiba for the first time in the world of my memories. It was also my first time to see him after I had realized that I love him. Again, destiny was cruel; here, I meet him at a time when the world was hanging by a thread. I felt that I had to protect him; I urged him to find his way out, before the Lord of Darkness was resurrected. Kaiba just smirked at me, turned his back at me and said: "I don't give a damn about who you are in this world; I would not answer to you. I would stay here to see who is this Lord of Darkness whom the King of Duelists fears so much." I wanted to kick him for his foolishness then, but let him have his own way instead. After all, he was his own master. And I was glad he was because, later on, we worked together in a battle against the Dark Lord.

Kaiba would defy my reasoning, scoff at my beliefs and even insult me. Fight against me. Kill me if he felt he had to. He was a man who would love only if he chooses to love. Kaiba's heart was free to choose its own path.

It was one of the reasons why I love him... and why I hated myself. For loving him.

Chapter 4: Justified

In the world of my memories, I managed to destroy the Dark Lord with the help of my hikari, Yugi. Three thousand years ago, I had sacrificed my soul and sealed away my memories in the Millennium Pyramid -- now the Millennium Puzzle. When the puzzle was solved, my spirit was freed, but my memories were not. My mission had been to recover my lost memories.

Now my mission was over. Pharaoh Atem, whose soul has been bound to this world for three thousand years, could now move on and rest in peace.

When we returned to Yugi's world (and I to Yugi's body), we met the spirit of the priest Shadi. He told us that the door to the afterlife could not be opened until I, the Pharaoh, was beaten in a duel.

I looked at my companions one by one: Anzu, Jou, Honda... Seto Kaiba. My eyes lingered for a long time at Seto Kaiba. His eyes looked back, seemingly trying to decipher my gaze. Finally, he closed his eyes and showed his trademark smirk. "Very well. I would duel you," he said. He took his deck from his pocket. "I have been waiting for this chance for a very long time, Yami Yugi. But don't take it easy on me just because you desperately want to leave."

No, you have gotten it wrong, Seto Kaiba! I had wanted to scream. I was actually looking at them, trying to decide on whether I should duel or not. If I duel, and lost, I would move on to the afterlife. But then, that would mean I would be parted from my friends. And I would be parted from Seto Kaiba.

"Can't you just delay this duel, Yami Yugi?" Anzu said, fear and sadness in her voice. "We would still love to see you... Yami Yugi..."

I looked at her, then at Kaiba, and then at Shadi. Could I? I had wanted to ask.

Shadi seemed to have read my mind. He looked down solemnly. "You could if you want to, Pharaoh. It is, after all, your choice -- whether to move on to the afterlife or to be bound to this world for the next few years. However, as you have already recovered your memories, there is no way for you to cease to exist."

"Well, isn't that a good thing?" Jou suddenly interjected, jolting all of us from the tense atmosphere. I saw Kaiba mouthing: Shut up, mutt. I smiled, amused at his attitude.

Shadi ignored the exchange. "In the event that your hikari passes on, and loses his body, so shall you."

"Whoa!" Jou exclaimed. "Let's not be too morbid here, okay? There's no way Yugi would die, right, Yugi?" he said with a wink.

Kaiba heaved a sigh. Apparently, he was trying to put reins on his temper. I, on the other hand, merely looked at Jou. I had wanted to say: You'll never know. I died young, without warning. And so did many of my people. But I also didn't want to add to the sadness in the room, so I just kept quiet.

"And what would happen after that?" I asked.

"It means you would lose your vessel. There would be no way for you to perform physical deeds, no way for you to duel. In that case," and Shadi looked up, his tone more serious now, "you would never arrive in the afterlife. Your consciousness will be bound to this world... for eternity."

My consciousness... bound to this world... for eternity?! I gasped, visions suddenly overwhelming me. Memories I desperately wanted to forget. Darkness.. cold... silence... all alone... insanity... vision whirling, chest aching, lungs fighting for air, panicked voices calling out my name...

Blackness claimed me and I fell to the floor, senseless.

(to be continued)

Click here to proceed to Chapter 5. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home