ScarletWP Fanfiction

I ease my soul. I write. I paint my desires with words. Warning: Yaoi.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Contemplations in the Afterlife 12

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Genre: Romance, Angst

Description: Despite his love for Seto Kaiba, the Pharaoh Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife. Now, he feels regret for his decision, and prays for another chance for him and his beloved to be together.

Pairing: Seto Kaiba x Yami Yugi (Prideshipping)

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!


Contemplations in the Afterlife
by: scarlet wax petal

Click here to return to Chapter 11. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

My attention turned to the pool of water in front of me. I gazed at it, hoping to catch a glimpse of some vision, but saw nothing but my and Isis' reflections.

"Would you like to see him, my Lord?" Isis suddenly asked, breaking me from my musing.

Of course I would love to see him, I had wanted to say. But I was hesitant. What if I saw something that I didn't want to see?

Then again, I would really love to see him. I couldn't resist, and nodded. Isis chanted a few words, then caressed the water with her hand. The water sparkled, then glowed brightly, and I felt my consciousness blissfully slip away.

Chapter 12: The Year After

"Happy birthday, Oni--sama!" Mokuba's shrill voice resounded in my ear. I felt my sleeping muscles twitch at the sound; apparently, I had not yet fully woken up, so it felt as if I was suddenly thrown into cool waters when my younger brother hurled himself, without warning, onto the bed where I had been sleeping.

What a great way to start the day, I mumbled sarcastically to myself, as I sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Then, Mokuba's words finally registered in my mind. Oh yes, it's my birthday. I had almost forgotten.

Ironically, some things that I wish to forget never seem to be thrown from my mind. It has been nearly a year since that incident with Yami Yugi -- an incident which I have been remembering at least once each day and reliving at least once each evening. I have been through traumatic events since my childhood -- from the moment of my parents' deaths, to the years I spent living under Gozaburo's "care," to the many times that my brother was abducted -- but, strangely, none has bothered me as much as the time Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife.

If the afterlife does exist and Yami Yugi has gone there, then, technically, he is dead. And I have no business with dead people.

Unfortunately, he continues to influence my life even from the grave. And I have yet to find a way how to stop him.

Influence my life? Stop him? Great, I'm thinking as if he's still alive.

I was jolted from my thoughts when Mokuba grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me playfully. Mercilessly. "Nisama, Nisama! Hurry up and get dressed, or we're gonna be late!" He then jumped from the bed and, after one last grin at me, loudly and happily ran out my door.

I couldn't help but smile. Among others, I only manage a smile -- more like a wicked smirk -- moments before I deliver the final blow, much like the way a predator grins at its prey before brutally tearing it to pieces. But Mokuba, somehow, has the power affect me in such a tender manner: make me smile carelessly and honestly. I guess that's why I had sacrificed so much for the boy; the so-called "bond of blood" is truly inexplicable sometimes.

My eyes had watched my brother, as he ran out the door, seemingly without any care in the world. Apparently, he has recovered from everything that has happened in his life, like he always did, even after a terrible abduction or soul banishment. Sometimes, it makes me wonder who between the two of us was stronger.

As for me, the year had been personally difficult, as I tried to put my past behind me, using my businesses to keep my mind off things. From morning to midnight, I buried myself in work, with only a maximum of four hours of sleep a night... and oftentimes, sleep does not come easily and peacefully. Alcohol was my only solution. I had a bar (hidden from sight lest Mokuba learn about it) installed in my room, and every night, when I was sure that Mokuba was asleep, I would seek the solace of hard liquor until I become intoxicated enough to go to sleep.

I was careful enough not to let even the nosiest paparazzi find out about my vice, which never came in the way of my businesses, fortunately. In fact, as I continued to lose myself in my work, Kaiba Corporation continued to grow. Kaibaland went on to flourish; now, there are three of it in the world -- in America, in Japan and in Italy -- and has been listed in newspapers and magazines as the number one amusement park in the world.

Furthermore, the duel disk system and Duel Monsters hologram was constantly improved, with a lighter and sleeker design, more realistic faster-loading graphics and more modes of game play. Kaiba Corporation has hosted two major tournaments since; the quest for the new King of Duelists, after Yugi Mutou (the public does not know of Yami Yugi's existence) has made an announcement on television to retire from dueling, persisted. Apparently, no one was consistently good enough to maintain the title for more than two weeks.

If I had tried to become the King of Duelists, I would have the title right now and kept it for years to come. However, unlike before, I hadn't been too eager to compete in tournaments and take part in duels; I have lost all motivation to become the best. I was always the host, never a participant, and I never did demonstrative duels, despite my advertisers' repeated advice that the public is begging to see me duel. Fortunately, it didn't do anything to weaken Kaiba Corporation; I just told the public that I, like Yugi Mutou, was retiring from dueling and focusing on developing the Duel Monsters technology.

In fact, it has been almost year since I last held a deck of Duel Monsters cards, and it had taken repeated pleadings from my brother to play that last game with him. It was just a few days after Yami Yugi's departure, and my brother must have noticed that I haven't been eating, for he told me time and again that I would become sick if I went on like this. Not that I minded; I had lost much of my will to live. If not for my brother, I would have put a bullet through my head a long time ago. Seriously. Screw Kaiba Corporation; I wouldn't have cared if they fucked with it afterwards.

When my brother managed to coax me into that duel -- which, he said, should make me feel better -- I told him that regardless of the result of this duel, I wouldn't play again. This was to be my last duel. It took me just two turns to turn my brother's life points into mush. Furthermore, I found that he was wrong; the duel didn't make me feel better, it only made things worse by making me remember...

Damn you, Yami Yugi... Get the fuck out of my mind!

It has been almost a year. Today was my birthday. Hardly a happy one, I expect. My brother, again, made me promise him that I wouldn't go to work today. We would go to a movie, then to a restaurant, then play arcade games, then rounds of tennis until he becomes too exhausted to stand and starts to fall asleep. And I would be there, damned awake as ever, trying in vain to slip myself into wonderful oblivion.

(to be continued)

Click here to proceed to Chapter 13. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home