ScarletWP Fanfiction

I ease my soul. I write. I paint my desires with words. Warning: Yaoi.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Contemplations in the Afterlife 08

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Genre: Romance, Angst

Description: Despite his love for Seto Kaiba, the Pharaoh Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife. Now, he feels regret for his decision, and prays for another chance for him and his beloved to be together.

Pairing: Seto Kaiba x Yami Yugi (Prideshipping)

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!


Contemplations in the Afterlife
by: scarlet wax petal

Click here to return to Chapter 7. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

The duel had been long and difficult, the audience hushed and glued to where they were. Even Jou, who was usually the noisy one. Perhaps, they were just as nervous as Yugi and I. Or, more likely, they didn't know whom to cheer for. If Yugi wins, then I would move on to the afterlife, and therefore, be parted from them. If I win, then I would lose another chance to rest in peace.

Thankfully, it was Yugi who emerged victor. Apparently, everyone was surprised, including Kaiba, whose eyes were widened with wonder after the duel. I was glad that he didn't accuse me of not doing my best; it had never been apparent throughout the duel who would emerge victor. I stared at my defeat with bravery, staving off the tears that threatened to fall. I didn't know if I wanted to cry because I had been defeated, or because I was proud that my hikari had displayed such great skill. Or because I was relieved with the hope that my soul would never suffer after this. I was never sure.

Chapter 8: Farewell

After the duel, Yugi fell to the floor on his knees, crying. I went to him and took him in my arms.

"I wish... I wish..." he said, his voice quaking, "you don't have to go, Yami Yugi. But this is the only way!" And he dipped his face into my chest and sobbed.

"This is my destiny, little one," I gently said, as I softly brushed my palm upon his back, "so don't cry. Now I can finally be free..."

I felt him nod. I gently held his head in my hand and placed a soft kiss upon his forehead. Then to my friends, I said, "I thank you for sharing with me your friendship and your love. Through my existence in your world, I have come to realize that if I hadn't been locked up in the Millennium Puzzle, then I wouldn't have met any of you."

Upon recovering my memories, I had thought that the only reward I obtained from freeing my people from darkness was an endless existence in nothingness. Then I remembered my friends and found that all the suffering had been worth it.

Especially you, Kaiba. You are the one I have ever loved most. Even if my love is not reciprocated, I am still glad that I have come to meet you. Through you, I learned the wonderful feeling of being in love.

I just hope I could tell you this but I couldn't.

I looked at my friends. Yugi, Anzu, Jou, Honda... The tears were flowing freely as they found that this was to be our last goodbye. One by one, they came to embrace me and wish me farewell.

Then I turned to Kaiba. His face still held the same serious expression. We looked at each other quietly, communicating through our eyes with words unspoken. He was the first to break the silence.

"So, you're leaving for good?"

I gave him a solemn nod.

"So you finally got what you want..." he muttered.

I didn't respond.

"Are you really that eager to leave?" he yelled, stomping his foot. His teeth clenched, apparently in anger. "Damn you, Yami Yugi! Damn you! Damn you!"

My eyes widened. Nobody spoke, not even Jou.

"You were the only person who motivated me to duel, do you know that?" he continued, his head bowed down, his knuckles whitening with force as he squeezed his hands into fists. "And now you would just walk away... forever?"

Kaiba... "This is my destiny, Kaiba..." I softly replied.

"Don't give me that destiny shit!" he screamed bitterly. "Destiny is only an excuse! People make their own future! You just ended yours right now!" Then he heaved a sigh, collected himself and straightened up, a stern expression on his face. "Have it your way, then." He abruptly turned and began to walk away. "Goodbye... Yami Yugi..." It was almost a whisper.

Kaiba cursed under his breath, then ran out the nearest door. I wanted to run after him, if just to see how he was doing...

"Yami Yugi..."

"Aibou..."

"You should go to Kaiba, and tell him how you truly feel. Please..." my hikari begged.

I thought about it, about how I've made up my mind to just leave things be. But then... my last meeting with Kaiba now had ended in resentment. For sure, he hated me already. So what have I got to lose? A lot more, perhaps. But I just had to risk it, if I wanted him to regard me well again.

I smiled at Yugi. "Alright. I will." I then looked at Shadi. "When will the gates of the afterlife be opened?"

"Anytime soon, Pharaoh," he replied. "But do take your time. They will remain open for you for as long as you remain in the vicinity."

"Then you've got to hurry, Yami Yugi!" my hikari exclaimed. "Kaiba might have decided to leave by now!"

I nodded and turned to leave. I didn't mind my other friends' inquiring comments that I half-heard as I ran out the door. Yugi should be able to take care of their questions.

Much to my relief, I found that Kaiba had not left as Yugi had feared. He was just outside the door, his back resting limply upon the wall, his teeth gritting forcefully, his thumb and forefinger pressed hard upon the ducts of his eyes, as if blocking the tears. It was the first time I've ever seen Kaiba in this state. He had always been reserved with his emotions (except anger, scorn and wonder... and sometimes, fear, even if he would deny it) and never threatened to cry, even during the most seemingly hopeless times. I gently placed my hand upon his shoulder. He suddenly turned, startled, jerking his shoulder away from my touch, as if it burned through his skin.

"Yami Yugi!" he exclaimed, his eyes widening. I saw that they were glistening with tears that threatened to fall. Then, immediately, he turned his face away from me, and cursed under his breath. His voice became firmer, more serious, with a hint of anger. "What the hell do you want? I thought you have already left."

"Kaiba... look at me..." I softly said, as I coaxed him to face me.

He jerked further away. I realized that now that I had seen him display his emotional vulnerability -- which he always hid from others -- he would hate me for as long as he would remember. I shuddered at the thought, and shook it away from my mind.

"I just have to tell you something," I said, "so listen."

He refused to look. His shoulders were trembling, and his breath hissed. He tried his best not to show any interest, but I told him what I wanted to say anyway. Deep in my heart, I was sure that he was interested in what I was going to tell him.

"You are truly a wonderful person, Kaiba, and I really appreciate you..." No, that wasn't it. That wasn't just it. I heaved in air and decided to tell him the full truth.

My voice was firm and steady. "I love you... Seto..."

Afterwards, there was silence. And then, Kaiba laughed scornfully and turned his face towards me. I could see the marks that his tears had left upon his cheeks. He quickly wiped them with the back of his hand and asked, with a mad evil grin, "Yami Yugi, have you gone insane? How the hell would..."

"I just know," I said, cutting him off. I placed my hand upon my heart and gazed upon him with tender eyes.

More silence, as Kaiba glared at me through his tears. "Is that all?" he finally said.

I nodded solemnly.

He took his sight away from me, cleaned his face with a handkerchief and collected himself. "Take care of yourself, Yami Yugi. I would always remember you as my one true rival. Farewell."

"Goodbye, Kaiba," I softly said, as I tried to hold back my tears. "You have always been an admirable duelist. Take care of yourself as well." I held out my hand in friendship. He took it, and we shook hands for the final time.

With that, he turned his back and left, walking straight to where he was bound to go. And then, he was gone. I heard the roar of an engine, and his Blue Eyes White Dragon jet flew past, then higher to the sky, until it was out of sight.

I stayed there for quite some time, just staring up at the sky through teary eyes.

A deep voice behind me said: "It is time, Pharaoh."

I turned. It was Shadi. I gave him a nod, and followed him to where the portal to the afterlife had opened. My friends were waiting nearby. My hikari was the first to approach me. "How did Kaiba react?" he asked.

When I didn't give him an answer, he just closed his eyes and shook his head in annoyance. Anzu took me in her arms, while Jou and Honda gently patted my shoulders. Yugi must have told them about my feelings for Kaiba. I was glad that they understood.

I pulled away from Anzu's arms. "I have to go now," I softly told my friends. "Till we meet again..."

"This will not be the last time that we would be seeing you, Yami Yugi?" my hikari asked, hope evident in his voice.

I smiled. "Someday, we will meet again, my friends. And after that, we shall be together for eternity..."

The door to the afterlife glowed, as bright and blinding as the noonday sun. Yugi, Anzu, Jou and Honda shielded their eyes from the glare with their hands. I looked at it, welcomed it, felt overwhelming joy in its presence. There, in the light, I saw familiar faces from three thousand years ago. My faithful priests Mahad, Isis, Shada, Kalim, Akhnadin, Seth; Mana and Shimon; and my father Akhnamkanum.

My father was the first to welcome me, with arms open wide. I walked over to him and let him embrace me. "I've missed you so much, my son..." he said, as he buried his face in my hair. "I am glad to have you back."

"It's been a long time, Father..." I said, as I buried my face in his chest. "You would never lose me again, I promise..."

With that, the door to the afterlife started to close. I looked back for one last time to see my friends sobbing and waving goodbye.

And then, the door was shut. After three thousand years, I was finally home.

(to be continued)

Click here to proceed to Chapter 9. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home