ScarletWP Fanfiction

I ease my soul. I write. I paint my desires with words. Warning: Yaoi.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Contemplations in the Afterlife 15

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Genre: Romance, Angst

Description: Despite his love for Seto Kaiba, the Pharaoh Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife. Now, he feels regret for his decision, and prays for another chance for him and his beloved to be together.

Pairing: Seto Kaiba x Yami Yugi (Prideshipping)

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Contemplations in the Afterlife
by: scarlet wax petal

Click here to return to Chapter 14. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

"Let the living bury their dead." And, honestly, I couldn't agree more. The dead certainly has no place among the living, save in the realm of memories; the only consolation that a person may have once he passes on is that the people who love him would remember him and, hopefully, never forget.

The dead are excluded from the living for a reason: so that the living may go on living. This was one of my principles as the spirit of the Millennium Puzzle; it was my driving force to fulfill my mission of collecting my memories, so that I may finally leave the world of the living in peace. From the start, I have known that I had been deceased, only bound to this world for a reason. As time passed by, I came to believe that the reason was to meet the people I've met, save who needs to be saved and love who needs to be loved.

After everything I've gone through, I inferred that this was, indeed, the true reason. It was Seto Kaiba. My beloved.

But I am dead, and he is alive, with a future ahead of him. I can't take that future away from him; it would be unfair. So my only choice was to let go, to say goodbye. It is the right thing to do. At least, thanks to Isis, I was able to assure him that I love him. Not everyone gets that chance from beyond the grave. I must be very fortunate.

In his dream, we remained together for some time, just lying in each other's arms, saying nothing yet seemingly sharing everything. Finally, I spoke:

"I have to go now, love."

Seto suddenly sat up from where he was lying. He gazed at me with his deep blue eyes, and then finally gave me a quick nod. Since I have known Seto as a man who never says words of affection, who prefers to talk with his actions, his reply was more than enough. I knew he understood.

After kissing him for one last time, I closed my eyes and felt my form drift away. In a moment, I was back in Seto's bedroom, looking down at the unconscious form of my beloved.

Chapter 15: The Book of Life

Isis guided me back to the afterlife. When I recovered, I found myself back in the worship hall of the temple. It was already evening when we returned. Promptly, I stood up, gave Isis a word of thanks, and headed back to my residence to rest.

As I lay on my bed, I recalled the things that have transpired while I was in Seto's dream. How I took his lips in a kiss. Gods, until now, I couldn't be sure what had pushed me to do that; after all, I was well aware of the risk that Seto may just shun me and hate me more. But I was grateful when he responded, when he deepened the kiss and pulled me to him, as if he had been thirsting for it all this time. I traced my finger over my lips; I knew they were no longer mine alone.

I had let him lay above me. Look down on me, but with eyes full of hunger and longing. I had let him encounter me in my most vulnerable state, where all I could do was depend on him and beg for his touch, as if I would cease to exist if he didn't take me. I had given him the freedom to do to my body as he wished, let him touch me, caress me, arouse me in whatever way he could imagine. He seemed to know my body more than I do.

And then, when I knew I couldn't take it any longer, I called for him and he took me. Claimed me as his own. At first, it had been rough, but Seto was surprisingly tender. He made me feel the pleasure beneath the pain. And then, I came to know ultimate bliss. With him, through him.

It was strange that everything had started out as a challenge. Seto did post the challenge to make him believe that I really love him. And I had done it. Made him surrender his pride and give in to desire, in the process. But then, I had also surrendered myself to him, let myself come beneath him, let him claim me as his own.

What had happened in the realm of Seto Kaiba's dream will forever be in my memory.

I noticed the streams of light through the window. Why, the sun has already risen. Had I been awake this long? Heavens, I haven't slept a wink yet! But I was still alert, so I just jumped from bed and headed down for breakfast.

A familiar brown-haired young man was at my table. It was Mahad, my Dark Magician! But what was he doing here?

"The Priest Shada has told me that you need me, Pharaoh," he answered at my inquiry.

Ah, Shada could read people's hearts, I remembered. While Mahad was an expert on Ancient Egyptian text, so probably, his expertise on books extends to the afterlife. Well, we shall see...

"Isis has told me about the fragments of souls," I told him, as I took a seat beside him. "Tell me what you know about this matter."

He nodded respectfully. "Not all free souls in the afterlife are perfect, my Lord. Some still have fragments bound to the physical world."

"Isis has told me about that also. Continue."

"These fragments -- which were born into the physical world as human beings -- became known as reincarnations. When a person is reincarnated into another, the memories of his past life are deeply hidden in the unconscious, so the reincarnation is able to live a new life, acquire new memories and even a new personality."

"And while the reincarnation is alive, the soul from which he came from would be imperfect?"

"Yes. While the reincarnation walks the earth, the soul in the afterlife would experience some suffering. It is only when the reincarnation has come into the afterlife that both souls would truly be at peace."

Is that so? Well, why do I feel some suffering myself? "Mahad, as far as I know, I don't have a reincarnation. Yet I believe I am imperfect."

"Fragments need not be just reincarnations, my Lord. If someone in the physical world has refused to fully accept another person's passing, then the soul would not be truly at peace."

So someone in the physical world has refused to fully accept my passing? And then, I remembered Isis' words: For part of your spirit is with your vessel. And with your beloved. I now realized that Yugi and Seto have not yet truly accepted that I was gone.

Yugi... I haven't seen how he was doing. After this day is over, two years would have passed in the physical world from the time of our duel. Yet he had been my aibou, and I knew him well; emotionally, he is stronger than he seems, even offering to share in the pain that I had endured for three thousand years. I trusted that he would be able to recover without my help.

As for Seto... I was still unsure. Despite the cold facade that he had often sported, Seto was very fragile inside. I had seen him drown himself with alcohol because of me. When I came into the realm of his dreams, I decided to post him a challenge, for I knew that it was only through a challenge that he would comply. I had told him to prove that I do not hold his life in my hands, that he was truly the master of his own destiny.

Destiny... "What do the writings say about a person's destiny?" I asked.

"Each person's destiny has long been written by the Gods," replied Mahad. "For example, it has been written that Seth -- or rather, his reincarnation -- and you would meet and battle."

Seth's reincarnation. Seto Kaiba. He has always said that there is no such thing as a predetermined future; rather, that the future is determined by the present choices of men. Partly, I have come to believe him. But could he have been wrong all along?

"What is written about the future of Seth's reincarnation?" I inquired, trying to keep my expression neutral.

Mahad waved his hand. Before us appeared a thick book bound in gold and bronze. The book opened, and my priest's eyes skimmed through its text. "He is destined to be powerful and influential," he finally said, "more than he is now. And he would live long, and very successful in earthly terms. Yet he is destined for unhappiness. No love, no purpose. Only emptiness and misery."

(to be continued)

Click here to proceed to Chapter 16. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home