ScarletWP Fanfiction

I ease my soul. I write. I paint my desires with words. Warning: Yaoi.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Contemplations in the Afterlife 18

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Genre: Romance, Angst

Description: Despite his love for Seto Kaiba, the Pharaoh Yami Yugi has decided to move on to the afterlife. Now, he feels regret for his decision, and prays for another chance for him and his beloved to be together.

Pairing: Seto Kaiba x Yami Yugi (Prideshipping)

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!

Contemplations in the Afterlife
by: scarlet wax petal

Click here to return to Chapter 17. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

There was pain, and then darkness. And then there was none. The existence of nothing but mere consciousness. Nearly absolute oblivion.

So this is how it's like to die, I mused, getting a strange sort of exhilaration as I've come to know how death -- real death -- truly feels like. It has always aroused my curiosity -- this death -- made me spend a number of nights playing around with it in my mind, almost as if it were my obsession. Almost as if it was what I had desired for so long.

Well, was it? Have I totally and truly abandoned the human instinct of self-preservation? For I have come to know death without a struggle; otherwise, I would have at least tried to fight back. In fact, I have chosen to welcome it with open arms. For in the last moments of my life, after I had driven through whatever I had crashed into and smashed my body... I had let out a low chuckle of triumph, and sighed out in relief amidst the intensity of pain. And then, willingly, I closed my eyes; I didn't fight unconsciousness when it came. I just let it claim me. I had let death claim me.

No, I have claimed death, and chosen to die. Just as Yami Yugi had, ten years ago.

Yami Yugi...

At that, blindling light flooded the darkness, and soon, I heard a familiar long-lost voice proudly and firmly call my name:

"Seto Kaiba."

That voice! It seemed to stir something within me: that longing that had gathered within me all these years. The urge to see him and have him, no matter the cost, even if it must be paid for with my own life. Damn, am I really this desperate? Sometimes, I could not believe myself; I had lost myself, all because of this one man who had started out as nothing to me, in whose existence I had regarded as nothing more than a rival, whose importance I had fully realized only when it was already too late. Yet, from beyond the grave, he had held my life in his hands, and changed me. Defeated me, again, with his power.

I was silent, once more in awe at his presence. He stood before me now; again, it was his turn to speak. His tone was stern and authoritative; I realized it was a command.

"Your time has not yet come, Kaiba. Return to where you've come from. Return to the world of the living."

At that, something from inside seemed to hit me -- quite like a sudden influx of energy -- and I didn't stop myself... or my heated rage. In a second, my fist had landed on Yami Yugi's cheek, sending him sprawling to the floor.

Chapter 18: Will

I should've expected Seto Kaiba to react this negatively to what I have said. I had been too careless and foolish, making the mistake of momentarily underestimating him, of thinking that there was no more fight left within his late-twenties self, as a consequence of the past ten years. But, of course, I should've realized that there is always fight left in him; after all, this is Seto Kaiba we are talking about. Fight is the foundation of his heart and of his soul; it was something that could never be taken away, lest he ceases to exist.

For failing to see that, I deserved his punishment, and I accept it, painful as it was. Nevertheless, as I rubbed the throbbing ache on where he had hit me, I was glad to have found the Seto Kaiba whom I had thought was lost forever. The Seto Kaiba that I had known, and that I love, has finally returned.

He stared down at me coldly with his sea blue eyes. His arms were crossed in apparent vexation, and his stance was proud and intimidating, almost threatening to kill. I smiled lightly, pleased, as I brought myself up and stood to face him once more. Seto must have noticed, for his eyebrows had crossed.

"What's so funny?" he inquired, obviously annoyed at my reaction.

I instantly wiped the smile from my face. "You heard me, Kaiba," I said, avoiding his last question. "Return to the world of the living. Now is not your time to die."

Within seconds, the scenes of immediate past flashed through my mind. The searing pain through my form that had prompted me to run to the temple. The congregation of priests who had condemned Seth for some unforgivable reason. The High Priest Seth who had clung unto me, trembling, begging for protection and comfort. And the black ink spots that had stained his hands, the mark of his crime.

For the same black ink was etched on the pages of the Book of Life. The pages about Seto Kaiba. The fresh writings spoke of a vehicular accident. I was too shocked to read on, as I realized that Seth had forged the writings on the Book of Life, a crime punishable by a millennium of burning torture in the afterlife dungeons. The thought of it sent chills through my form; even my High Priest, the toughest among my six counsels, had buckled at the knowledge.

Seth, you idiot! I had wanted to exclaim. But my throat tightened and dried in horror and fury, rendering me speechless. Instead, I turned to him, my eyes begging for an answer. In response, Seth immediately collected himself and looked on. Though his narrowed eyes were reddened from crying, there were no more traces of regret in them. Just ice-cold determination and stone-hard pride. I didn't know which one to be more concerned of: the punishment that awaited my High Priest, or his placid facial expression that spoke of him facing his responsibility regardless. My High Priest, after all, had always judged honestly and justly, rewarding generously or punishing harshly as each person in question deserved in the law. And Seth himself is definitely no exception to the rule.

He finally spoke. "I swore an oath that I would serve the Pharaoh loyally and ensure his contentment, even at the risk of pain, humiliation and death." His tone was straight and sure.

I didn't know how to respond. I sat without moving, still holding the Book of Life in my hands.

"I can wait," I whispered, the only answer that came into my mind.

"It is written," he replied, "that my reincarnation would live for five more decades."

"A mere fifty days in the afterlife. You should've known that, Seth." I reverently lay the book on the floor and approached my High Priest. "And you are mistaken to think that what you have done would appease me. You may have brought my beloved back to my arms, but you have killed him. Who knows how much you have changed the fate of mankind with your foolish actions? Seto Kaiba is a significant force in the world of the living. Didn't you realize that... Seth?"

My High Priest bowed his head in shame. From the side of my vision, I noticed Mahad walk to where I had laid the book. Ignoring him, I just shook my head, and continued: "You shouldn't have done this. The Book of Life was entrusted in the priests' care because the Gods believe that you are most able to care for it. Now you have betrayed their trust... by allowing yourself to think that your limited knowledge could challenge their infinite wisdom! I, too, may have misjudged the destiny they have set for me, but as I chose to accept, I have come to appreciate. For how else could I have met my beloved if I hadn't become the spirit of the Millennium Puzzle? Furthermore... do you think I would exist happily knowing that my High Priest -- whose welfare I care for so much -- is suffering in the dungeons? And didn't it pass your mind that as you have gained me my beloved back, so you have lost yours in the process?"

"I live to serve my Lord" was his only reply. I gritted my teeth in annoyance. I hate it when people sacrifice themselves for my sake. My priests had done it before, three thousand years ago, and it stabbed sharply through my heart seeing them die one by one. All for my sake. I had thought that that was the end of it. Apparently, I was wrong.

I slumped myself on the floor as I thought about what to do. Then a solemn voice broke the silence. "It seems that the High Priest has not adversely affected fate, my Lord." It was a voice tinged with hope. I turned to see Mahad going through the text of the Book of Life.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Mahad walked over and knelt before me, holding the Book of Life open to the page on Seto Kaiba's destiny. "See, my Lord," he said, as he pointed out the relevant text, "Seth's reincarnation would survive. The accident would just be another scene in his life -- something that would hardly change him. And then he would move on to fulfill the others that have been previously written about him." After reading the text, I confirmed that what Mahad had said was true.

"But... how?" I glanced at Seth, before turning back to Mahad.

"We had caught him writing on the Book of Life, my Lord," Mahad replied, quite bitterly, "and we were able to stop him. He must have failed to finish what he had intended to do."

"Good," I muttered in relief. Now that Seth's actions would do little to change Kaiba's fate -- and the fate of the world -- I may be able to compromise for a lighter punishment. But for now...

"As we speak," came Isis' voice, "the fragment of Seth's soul knocks at the gates of the afterlife."

"Then I shall see him," I said. The priests all came to my side, apparently offering to help. But I just waved my hand and shook my head. "I know where to go. This is something I must do alone. Just wait here quietly for my return. Do not fight among yourselves; the situation is bad enough as it is." And to Seth, I said simply, "I shall deal with you later." He just nodded in response. I turned my back to them and left for the gates of the afterlife.

Now I am here. And Seto Kaiba was standing before me, his deep blue eyes blazing.

"You have no right to tell me what to do, Yami Yugi!" he interjected furiously. "How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"You're a fool, Kaiba, pitting yourself against the powers of fate." I shuddered at my words, as I remembered Seth. "And do not argue, for I know better than you do. I have seen your future."

His grin glared with triumph, and he chuckled. "Ishizu has said that before. And I've proven her wrong. Have you learned nothing from that duel?" He stepped closer. I stared wide-eyed and speechless in horror at him, through him... he was beginning to fade! But he didn't seem to notice; he continued to move nearer, slowly vanishing with every step. And so I tried to stop him. But, for some reason, he couldn't be stopped.

His voice, as always, was laced with arrogance.

"I refuse destiny..." Step.

Kaiba...

"For I am beyond fate." Step.

Don't do this, Kaiba...

"It has never held me..." Step...

No!

"...and it never will." He took the final one. And then...

"Kaiba!" I screamed, falling weakly to the floor. Seto... oh Gods, Seto...

But he was nowhere to be found.

(to be continued)

Click here to proceed to Chapter 19. Click here to see the Table of Contents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home